Sunday, October 10, 2004

Reviewing and "The Unburnable Flag"

About 2-3 years ago, a friend of mine told me that in addition to writing movie reviews, he was very proud of his Amazon.com reviews. The eclecticness of his reviews (movie reviews included) has always amused me. Tony reviews Al Gore's Earth in Balance in 2002! Then there is the Star Wars Sketchbook and Sounds from Star Trek reviews. So, I decided to write my own reviews.

Of course, I am not as interested in being helpful as Tony is. As you can see, Tony reviews dozens of items. Of course, most of his interest lies in material that is left of political center. (He describes himself as a proud liberal Democrat.) His movie reviews are even funnier. He rates everything from independent small distribution movies to foreign films to ill-fated blockbusters (like Wild, Wild, West! lol).

I don't have the patience to write movie reviews, but looking at Tony's work, I should reconsider.

I first met Tony in Bushnell Hall at Mary Washington College. (It is now called the University of Mary Washington. It might be the only state-funded institution of higher education named specifically after a woman, George's mom.) I could write a chapter in a book about this guy, he was so much fun, unless he was drinking. Golly, I hope he gave that up (sorry about the language). In 1988, the presidential issue of the time was flag burning. So, Tony took an American flag and immersed it into a milk jug full of water. He titled this work of art "The Unburnable Flag." It was genius because it still desecrated a flag while permanently keeping it from burning. I am not sure if he had any other good ideas that year, but who cares, that was better than anything Robert Maplethorpe produced. If only we had a picture.

A long time after that, possibly months, one of my roommates was with Tony and they were probably drinking up a storm. In Warren's drunken glory, he purchased "The Unburnable Flag" for $7.00! I thought this was amusing, and this meant that we were able to house this piece of art in our dorm room. I know much time had passed because the water was pink from the red ink coming off the flag. (Should have taken a professional picture!)

Apparently, Tony grew to resent this purchase. When he sobered up, he realized that he did not have "The Unburnable Flag" and was really sore at Warren. Warren would not give in, a deal was a deal. However, several weeks after, in another drinking binge, they got into it again and Warren gave it back. That I am aware of, Tony never gave the $7 back.

--gh

1 comment:

m said...

Wow. The most creative my college roommate ever got was when he cut the foot part of a sock off and used it as a beer can cozy. It wasn't even an insulated sock.

Wait. I have to give him at least half-credit for inventing 'yard golf' and for laying out the first 9 holes. I'ma blog about that later. Maybe I'll include an image.

-m