Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Guitars

I don't write about guitars enough. After about 25 years, I think I am finally getting comfortable with this instrument. So, I thought I would mindlessly write about guitar things.

Unless I was joking, I never referred to this instrument as an axe. Never understood that. Even in High School, my guitar-mate and I never said axe.

My acoustic is a Martin, and my electric is a Les Paul. You think that would be enough, but a guitarist is like a trumpet-player. We are always desiring that one more instrument that fills this unique niche.

Shall I dare say that two more would suit me just fine? I am in desperate need of a classical/nylon string guitar. I lost my last one on a cold winter day in Idaho, really should not have moved it around. It basically came apart. I loved that guitar. Tonight I played a Fender (don't laugh) that was absolutely awesome. I am not a classical purist, and this guitar was incredible. It had a narrower neck, like a steel-string acoustic, and actually had a radius fretboard. A plus was the active pickup configuration.

Oddly enough, my other guitar desire is a Fender electric. I keep going back to trying out Telecasters. Stratocasters seem to be too complicated for me. I guess I like two pickups, and a three-way switch. I don't mean to be a bigot about this, but it must be American made. I've tried the Mexican and Asian versions, and they just don't cut it. In fact, it's hard to find a Telecaster that has the fit and finish that I am accustomed to (my Les Paul is a Custom). I feel like a fancy-boy, but I need fret-ends that are dressed so that I don't feel them when I play.

Basically, a well-built Gibson reminds me of whisky that is tempered by pouring it through charcoal for refinement and smoothness. On the other hand, some of these Fenders remind me of moonshine or Everclear. Sure, they both get the job done, so it is more a matter of taste. Well, I want my Everclear mixed with some grape Koolaid (the college version of Purple Jesus). I think that means the model I am looking for is the American Deluxe or maybe a custom version or something. This might take a while.

The main reason why I started this post was to discuss one of the most perfect guitar solos, which is found in Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2. Have you heard this lately? I was driving along South Walnut (I still don't know if my street is a ST, or AVE, or what??!!!) and it occurred to me how organic Gilmour's playing is in this song. The entire song has that constant chord progression which is just one step from the seventies, and then he breaks into this solo. There are times that you can hear how he is picking, and even hitting the pickups. It is by no means sloppy (like much of Page's work, IMO) but if that solo was recorded now they would say "Perfect! Now let's edit out all those glitches."

Sorry for the rip on Jimmy Page above. When VH1 declared them the #1 rock and roll band of all time (or something) I concurred. Led Zeppelin is awesome. And Page's rhythm work is astounding. They just should have had another guitar player for lead. (Don't flame me, or cry foul. Most of their songs had rhythm and lead parts anyhow.) Who should their lead player have been? Probably Jeff Beck another Yardbird.

I want to go play guitar right now. See ya,

--gh

4 comments:

m said...

What about Harmony and Synsonics guitars? (My two personal favorites, since those were my first three guitars. My uncle gave my sister and I two of his old guitars - both Harmonys. One of them is pertty old. It is cracked on the side in the tail, and it has a really dull sound that is great for my awful abilities (read: it's quieter). The other Harmony is a newer one. It is relatively bright, but has some serious-ass buzzing issues. I can't believe my uncle didn't notice this when he bought it - maybe they developed over time...? The Synsonics was one of those little electrics from JC Penney or something that has a built in amp AND speaker and runs on TWO NINE-VOLT BATTERIES! I was never able to afford 2 9-volts simultaneously, and Jenn didn't like it when I robbed them from the smoke detectors, so I finally sold it at a garage sale. I think I did...actually, it might be in our crawlspace....It was left in the apartment Jenn moved into in Maryville, so I claimed it. Jenn bought a guitar while we were in Maryville. I can't even remember what kind it was - but it was something like XDS or JDS or something. That thing weighed so much it was unpleasant to play. I think it was made from 1/4" plywood or something. At least the Harmonys feel good in your hands. Plus, that thing never tuned correctly. It was impossible. I can spend about 5 minutes and get the Harmonys sounding reasonably OK, but it would take me about an hour to get that XDS to even sound in the ballpark. We sold that at a pawn shop, and got like $60 for it, which is pretty good considering what a hunk of junk it was. I finally gave the old, cracked Harmony back to my uncle, so I only have the newer, buzzy Harmony left - songs using a capo at fret 5 do not work - which pretty much eliminates all of the good stuff by the Eels.)

Time to leave the parentheses. Someday, when I finish with school, I hope to have the free time to pick up an instrument - either guitar or piano. Not until I can play at least one classical piece will I allow myself to buy a better acoustic. And not until I'm in a rawk band will I allow myself to buy an electric, if ever. I'm also hoping to have time to cultivate other interests, such as woodworking (specifically furniture-making), reading, brushing up on my philosophy background and on my French, and learning another few languages (Spanish, Latin, one of the Scandanavian languages).

In short, after almost 6 years of playing guitar (only recreationally, with no sort of instruction, ever, to be fair), I still suck. I'm OK with that, but it's hard to rationalize a decent-sounding guitar when my playing is awful enough to obscure any quality differences anyway. I remember G-Had sounding pretty awesome on the Synsonics when I brought it in to Geo-Tech.

I think a piano is the thing. I have long fingers, but they are to chubby at the tips to allow decent guitar playing. I'm serious. I am a shade over 6' tall, and I only weigh around 160, but my fingertips are those of a 300 lb., 5'2" guy.

-m

Anonymous said...

Have you ever mentioned your guitar STUDENTS? ;) Also I read some of your past entries..Mr. Rogers and other shows are eye poison. And that little imaginary land, whatever it's called.. it's just freaky.
Interesting comment you left on my Bloopdiary..I kinda figured you were joking about the Gilmore Girls thing but Cindy says its true. Nice.
~RAB

BlackLineFish said...

I wrote to Mark telling how to adjust the truss rod. I don't mind giving advise like that over email, because it is a Harmony. I would hate to be flippant and give half instructions and then have someone ruin a Taylor or something.

As I write, I am watching the TRIO channel. No, I'm not gay (not totally, at least - the Gay-O-Meter says that I am only 43% gay). The show is about the mullet haircut. It rules.

Ruth Ann, I will stick to my feelings about Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. The Neighborhood of Make-Believe rawks! I am proud of my guitar students, they are learning so much.

--gh

m said...

Huh. OK. Thanks. I'll try that. I'm not afraid to make do-it-yourself repairs to this guitar.

Keyboard??! No no no. Piano. My grandpa (mom's side) can play honky tonk piano like nobody's bidness, and he has never been able to read music.

The span between the end of my thumb and end of my pinky is 9 3/4." I'm not worried about physical limitations in playing piano.

-m