Thursday, October 07, 2004

GUIT-tar Fingerins'

Mark was complaining about fitting three fingers in the second fret to play an A chord. It might be easier to play it by barre-ing the chord with the index or middle finger. If I want to hear the high E string ring out, then I would play this with my middle finger, because it can bend up to hear the open E. However, if I wanted to play a riff with the G on the lowest string, then I don't care about high notes, and would use my index finger to play the A chord.

Here's an example of something that I would only play with my index and middle finger. Every place that you see the second fret (in tabla-chure if ya kain't reed musik), I use my first finger, barred across a few strings. The middle finger does the G (and C-natural at the end).



To complete the sound, I would probably mute the strings a little with my right palm near the bridge. Props to Notepad 2005 from Finale for the composition tool...

--gh

1 comment:

m said...

Yeah. As I mentioned, I've had diddley-squat in the way of instruction. I just figured out which positions made which chords, and tried to figure out how to get my chubby fingers to fit them. I will work on doing it the barre-ish way..I've only really picked up barre chords in the last few years.

I'm not sure that my guitar has 'parts.' I think it's just one big ol' molded piece of plywood, plus strings.

No...I will try the bridge-shim thing, since I don't seem to have any sort of nut thing inside that can be tweaked. I think altering the sound is probably not a major issue. I think I have one of those Fisherman's Club of America credit card things laying around..maybe I'll use that.

Thanks!

-m