Thursday, October 07, 2004

Environmental Issues

I am writing from the orthodontist's office while my son is having stuff glued to his teeth. It's nice that they keep a wireless network with open access. The orthodontist is hilarious -- because he is abrupt and short with his staff. I would say that the work environment here is tense as a result of his temper that seems to be just below simmering. Last month I thought the staff were going to mutiny. If they think that I can't see their rolling eyes, quick comments to each other, and the orthodontist's terseness, then they are fooling themselves. Still, this staff and doctor is one of the best in the area, so I am not worried about the aesthetics of pleasant (and usually fake smiles and comments) that you usually get from such practitioners. It is definitely more real than most, so I guess I get a kick out of it.

They were playing Grateful Dead music when Tyler first sat down. When they were administering a topical numbing agent, the speakers were blasting: "Driving that train, high on cocaine!"

This visit reminds me of a trip I took with a colleague to Jefferson City in late August. Basically, we gave a presentation on geographic information systems and homeland security. But what impressed us was the poor attitude of the agency that we were delivering this at. The staff were so demoralized and snipping at each other right in front of us. On the way home, we talked about how glad we were to not work in such an environment. Where I work, we support each other, and would never talk another professor down, especially in front of students. I guess I am lucky to have the job that I have, and to work at where I work.

--gh

No comments: