Tuesday, November 02, 2004

"esta es la eleccion mas importante de nuestras vidas"

The title is a quote from Kerry in Colorado or New Mexico. Complete pandering, but I like the kind of spanish that can be translated by most Americans with at least a year of High-School Spanish. By the way, I don't agree with that statement. This is not the most important election of our lives. That's ludicrous.

I would have liked one or two more weeks before the election, I am probably in the minority there. I just don't want it to end. I guess it did not end right away in 2000, but I found that process distasteful. I also had a hard time deciding because I liked both Kerry and Bush. It was not a hold my nose and vote situation, they are both winners in my book. (I sound like a kindergarten teacher.)

I am very optimisitic about the direction of our country. A long friend told me that she voted for some republicans, probably for the first time in her life. I have another friend who seemed to vote for some democrats for the first time. They acted like they reached an epiphany when they realized that they didn't have to vote straight ticket. I love the Midwest.

Me? I voted for 9 democrats and 6 republicans. If you take out the unchallenged seats, it was 5/5, half and half. As long anticipated, I did not write in Sharpton's name. There was only two slots on my ballot that I actually worried about who won. This was my U.S. representative in congress, and the state Attorney General. Other than that, I will be satisfied with the outcome however it turns out.

Go democracy! I love the Electoral College system!

--gh

3 comments:

m said...

I haven't had even a minute of Spanish, and I can understand that sentence without trouble. I guess it's because, like you once said, "Spanish is like easy French."

I'm not sure what would qualify as a more important election in my lifetime. Not Dukakis/Bush I.

-m

BlackLineFish said...

I think everyone underestimated the importance of Dole vs. Clinton in 1996. I don't think his administration would have let the accounting scandals bring the tech-boom to such exuberance. He would have listened to Greenspan. We wouldn't have bottomed out so hard like we did in the spring of 2000. In 1998, he would have killed UBL in Sudan just to be cheeky. He wouldn't care if he missed and Bin Laden fled to Baghdad like Clinton was worried about. Bin Laden never would have gotten the funding for 9/11, and he might have been dead and stuff.

I was frustrated that people said after the election "If I knew Dole was so funny like he was on Letterman and Leno, I would have voted for him!" We need a President to be funny? Bush's jokes are horrible, and Gore was actually scarey after losing in 2000.

At least when Kerry loses, no one can say they didn't think he was funny. I saw him on the Daily Show, and he was funny.

--gh

(Humphrey/Nixon/Wallace may have been the most important election in my life, but I was five months old.)

m said...

What makes an 'important' election? Is it:

1) the possibility of a really bad candidate getting elected?

2) the possibility of a really good candidate getting elected?

3) a really close election?

4) an election where some key issues will be determined by the outcome?

Maybe all of these. If it's a combination of the above, then I'd say this one might be more important than Clinton/Dole. Dole wouldn't have killed Bin Laden, either - I'm confident he would have done fine - probably not much different than Clinton. Dole was 27 times better than Bush II.

I'm a little worried about where Bush's policies may go in term 2, not having to worry about re-election.

-m