Friday, September 22, 2006

Last Weekend, Homeland Security, Moulage, Kansas City...

not hurtLast Saturday started out strange. I assisted one of my colleages in coordinating student involvement in a Homeland Security training. Basically, student actors were asked to pretend to protest something, and this went all kinds of wrong. Part of the action play was people getting shot, which you can see being prepared here. They called it moulage, or moulaging the actors - which I am sure is just some made up word. My colleague told me that the trainees did not do so well, a few SWAT folk got "shot," even though only a few Kansas City cops and some protestors were the only ones that should have gotten "shot."

I left before things got hinky. I do not care for physical performance, it makes me feel awkward. This includes actors, clowns, circuses, rodeos. They make me feel really wrong. Add photographers to that, and street performers, and you have the septa-fecta, or whatever that would be. Surely I am freaked out by more than this. So, I left and prepared to go to an air show.

b2Here you can see the B2 stealth plane thing. These things may be deployed all over the world, but they take off and land in Whiteman AFB in central Missouri. This is about 70 miles from Kansas City, so it is not a big trek. Oh, except that they told us it was over the Bronx an hour or two earlier (Yankee Stadium flyover). ...and, you can see my finger also!

angelsTaking pictures with a cheap camera phone is kind of fun. You have to hold down the "shutter" and be still for about a second. Somewhere in 1/2 to 3/4 second it will snap. This means for action shots you have to "take the picture" about a half second early. So, it is more fun and kind of like sharpshooting.

--gh

1 comment:

girl said...

Were you at the downtown airport in KC?