Friday, September 22, 2006

HNB 4.2 Ripped Potential

potenchnalI just love how the cabinet starts out as a board with so much potential. Remember that this is some 1x12 popular. I like to put dovetails on the whole width, and then rip it to the proper dimension later. This is because I don't think I could rip it and then make dovetails that would line up very well. I mark a front and back on the cabinet as a huge 12-inch deep box first. Then I disassemble it for ripping.

ripdI really have to get a new table saw some day. Fairly has been talking up better table saws and has got me thinking. I did not do such a good job of ripping these pieces. Part of it is the table's fault, and of course some of it is mine. Well, I guess I would like it to be all my fault, with no tooling errors working against me. No worries, though, I can sand most of what does not line up anyway.

boxtHere is a benefit of routing the dovetails and then ripping. You end up with cool looking left-overs! I have some of these from my first amp, in pine. I think I would like to route a slot near the bottom inside and put some 1/4" plywood in to make a tray. Not sure what I would put in it, but it might be good for something. If you can think of something better to do with it, please comment.

cabNow it is starting to look more like a combo amp! The chassis is really held in there by my hand, you can barely make out my thumb at the top of the photo. Luckily, I have enough wiggle room for some paint on the chassis, and finish on the cabinet. It is going to be so tight that it will look like I planned it that way. Yeah, that's right, I think I planned a tolerance of 1/100th inch!

--gh

No comments: