Sunday, September 03, 2006

HNB 1.0 Parts gathered, start drilling stuff!

I have the pleasure of building another guitar amplifier. This will be based on the P1 project at the AX84.com website/community. This is exactly what I built last spring, but I am sourcing all the parts and get to drill the chassis and turret board myself this time. That's right, I got myself a drill press!

This amp will be a 1x10 combo for my father-in-law this Christmas. I sure hope he does not read my blog. For his 75th birthday, last month, his family gave him an electric guitar. Right now he is playing through a solid state practice amp - so this would be a vast improvement (5 watts of tube sounds plenty loud). The title of this post are his initials, and I will put that on the faceplate, among other things.

Clickety St. HubbinsHere is the chassis and a few switchs and pots. Drilling the chassis is definitely what I am most nervous about. Then again, if I really screw it up, $20 gets me another one. The dimensions of this is 16x8x2 inches. When I do drill it, I will have to remember that it will be the reverse of my last effort, since a typical combo amp mounts the chassis upside down.

McClickinsThis is my drill press, a typical bench top 10" model that goes for $100. In front is the electrical grade fiberglass that will serve as the turret board. Many of the passive electrical components will mount on this board. Here is a capacitor and resistor as well.

Click clic cli cl c...In the foreground you can see my turret staking set up. I am using the drill press to flare the turret ends on the board. This is done by pressure only, you don't actually turn the drill on for this. After drilling a bunch of holes in the turret board with a #33 drill bit, it is ready for the Keystone 1509-4 double turrets. In the mid-ground, you can see the turret board with one turret loaded. Apparently people mess this up often by doing the whole thing upside down. I must have checked and re-checked 20 times. The turret staking tool cost $11 which is kind of a ripoff. I built the holder with the set screw in it, someone online wanted $25 for that. I built it out of parts I had laying around, and if I did have to buy them they would cost about 35 cents.

Here is the completed turret board.
yeah, you click on it and stuff

--gh

No comments: