Saturday, September 09, 2006

HNB 3.1 Drilling 95% done

Uncle ClickerI mounted the transformers and ran the primaries and secondaries through the chassis to check for fit. This gave me the opportunity to measure where the turret board will sit. I am varying the layout a little from the design I downloaded. I guess it makes it a little more mine. My first project had the parts ordered from one place and the chassis drilled and punched. I had no idea how big a part this actually was! It might surprise you that I had to order stuff from three different sources.

Uncle ClackerHeh, it didn't take long before I peeled off the plastic stuff that protects the chassis. I am going to sand it before I prime and paint it - so there isn't much to protect. After drilling almost all of the holes, I mounted some hardware to check for fit. This gave me an opportunity to see how much room I have for designing the faceplate. You might have guessed that the "name" of this amp is 'HNB.' This is the initials of my father-in-law, and this is the whacky way he writes it sometimes. I will get too creative with his faceplate, because it is a family gift. It would not be appropriate to have my taint all over it.

Well, I call it a faceplate, but actually I will draw right on the chassis. This is kind of a fun part of the project, I look forward to working on that in a few days. There isn't any step that I haven't enjoyed, it is all fun to me. Kind of a relaxing hobby. Something tells me that I will have this thing done by Christmas!

--gh

No comments: