Wednesday, July 14, 2004

A review of Abbey Road, (a nice 'Porduction')

I was writing with an old friend about my favorite Beatles album, Abbey Road.

Oddly enough, later I also decided to look deeper into the Star Wars Kid phenomenon. I wanted to check out the blog-page of one of the people that brought this to the forefront (and apparently raised money for this poor kid's devastating future).

Well, waxy.org describes a game almost as alluring as a GIS for hot names, or not so hot names. (Note to self, GIS for names is leaking some stuff that is TOO HOT, even with "safe mode on." I guess that's a warning.)

Basically, the game is to sort Amazon.com reviews of popular, classic, or historical music, art, or literature by WORST first. Read through some of them for a good time. But my favorite was for Abbey Road. I checked, and it was there. Here are some excerpts:



"I bought this album because I totally thought
the guy on the right was Kate Hudson's husband.
So I mean, I THOUGHT I was scoring some QUALITY
stoner grooves or like, something kinda White Stripey."
...
"And those lyrics...they don't take it from the
streets to the suburbs (props to Eminem) or the
suburbs to the suburbs (shout out to tha Kid)
--in fact THEY DON'T RAP AT ALL."
...
"Confusing. Give Me your body is a wonderland any day."
...
"Speaking of heavy, forget slammin' tracks
--these guys are ENGLISH, so they don't hit
it like like Korn or Limp Bizkit or Phantom Planet."
...
"So, in summary, check out a real band like Incubus."


And that was from just one review.
Another poor fellow states that he "heard they don't tour anymore."

Here are a few more from another budding Beatles fan:


"I heard the Beatles album "Rubber Soul", the one
with their one hit 'Norwegian Wood'."
...
"I always saw these guys as a one hit wonder."
...
"Apparently this band was an influence for great
bands like Herman's Hermits and New Order and
stuff, so, I thought, okay...if I can find it,
i'"ll chekc it out. I found it. Checked it out.
Uh...Ever heard of a word called 'Porduction', lads?"
...
"There's a reason you never hear of these guys
any more. They're probably all living in a shack
trying to live on their little checks for 'Norwegian Wood'."



--gh

No comments: