Tuesday, July 20, 2004

My Bill Bixby haiku

A little over a decade ago, I participated in one of the top 100 Internet events, the Bill Bixby Memorial Haiku Bake-off. Here was my contribution, (to the newsgroup alt.radio-shack.bill.bixby.dead.dead.dead).


"My wife says 'He's nice.'
Santa Claus used to scare me,
Bill Bixby never did."


Remember when everything on the Internet was repeated three times? I think that actually had something to do with Lovecraft, or something. I never read that stuff. I laughed when I saw a domain name starting with "www" because I thought it was a reference to net culture. I did not know what this INITIALISM meant.

I still remember my first experience with the web. I was logged into a UNIX machine at the University of Idaho and one of my doctoral committee members, then a CS professor, asked if I had seen the web yet. He showed me to type "Mosaic" (capital letters, unix, case sensitive) and the program launched. There was no default page. He told me to type this in:
http://www.lego.com

I understood the power of the web immediately. There was LEGO history, art, and photos of intricate statues and buildings made from LEGOs. Better yet, if I remember correctly, there was a link to places you could WRITE TO to order LEGO sets.

That was in early 1993, I think. I had my own web page in less than a week!

Can you remember the first web page you went to?

--gh

No comments: