Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Hello Summer!

I think we have had only two days above 90 degrees (F) this summer. I just opened the window, and it is downright chilly out there! Okay, 68 degrees isn't exactly chilly, but it is for July in the Midwest. We had three days above 90 in May, so that only makes five this year. I guess we are saving on the electricity for air-conditioning.

(Don't wear flip-flops around dog diarrhea.)

I am not planning to Hello this blog to death, in case you were wondering. It does give me the random opportunity to share images. But unless I get a digital camera, it would be purely derivative. (And this weblog is derivative enough for all seven of us, or however many read my ponderings.)

About 5 years ago I was addicted to a Persian radio station on the web. Every other day or so they would play a Farsi version of Another Brick in the Wall, part 2. It was worth waiting for. Man, I would pay good money to have a decent version of that right now.

I do pay for art. A few days ago I bought a napkin with the words "waisting ink" written over and over again. I admire the artist, because someone pointed out to him that he meant to write "wasting" and he just shrugged his shoulders. My pride would have been hurt over that, and I would have sought to destroy the work of art. It is now in my office, in a display case of PoMo items. (You know, the typical stuff: a piece of plaster from my home, part of the university library that almost hit me, a toy from my childhood, 5 lbs. of copper, some well-hidden mercury, a cigarette, slide rules, the usual items.)

My office is so clean it almost looks like a waiting room in a dentists office. I wonder how many jobs these days get to have a real office, with a door, and four solid walls. My brother has one, which is cool. And I think my sister does, too. Not sure about that. She lives several thousand miles away.

My sister thinks I tip too high at restaurants. I think I tip 20% because it is easier to calculate off the top of my head, and I am lazy that way. She is a strict 15%-er. However, I just read that a lousy tip is anything under 17%. So, I guess I am safe, but barely. Then again, this is from a website named bitterwaitress.com, so what should I expect.

(I searched for a link for www.bitterprofessor.com and came up empty handed. Blogger's spell checker does not have "blog," or "weblog" in it.)

--gh

No comments: