Sunday, July 11, 2004

Clarinet (www.sneezy.org?)

Earlier I mentioned that I started to play the Clarinet. After two days, Amy told me that I was almost at the level of the 6th-graders after a full year of band. This leads me to the following conclusions:
  • I am a music genius. By next weekend I will be able to play like Arty Shaw.
  • My wife likes to flatter me.
  • Sixth-grade band is not as complicated as I thought it was.

    I don't have any aspirations like being the next Acker Bilk, but I have been desiring to do this for over 15 years. I have access to music students and professors that I can ask questions, so I am not planning on formal lessons or anything.

    So, I guess I can encourage those who have waited over a decade to start an instrument. I don't believe that it is hard to do as an adult (like people say about languages), so grab that harmonica, guitar, harp, or pipe-organ and start learning now!

    I began teaching guitar lessons last week. This is something that I have wanted to do for about 15 years as well. Before I saw it as a source of income, but since I took a professional job, I have no desire to teach lessons for money. I don't feel that I have the time for that, either. So I decided that I would teach any youth at my church for about an hour before their evening service. I guess you can join my church's youth group if you want free guitar lessons.

    --gh
  • No comments: