Saturday, July 03, 2004

Musical tastes just broadened by spontaneous generation...

In my teens, I had to start defining my musical tastes by what I didn't like, rather than what I liked. Of course, the list had about 20 styles in it, but out of thousands, that's not too bad.
I just realized that my disdain for Contemporary Christian Music ended. I mean, it just ended, five minutes ago. No, I did not go out and order DC Talk or Newsboys CDs, but I won't cringe anymore when I hear it. I think I stopped disliking that too-white (sorry) over-compressed praise music as well.

Now I am down to disliking only two musical styles. So, that just leaves me with New-Age-Euro music and Death Metal. In short, if it sounds like Enya or Cannibal Corpse, I still don't like it. But believe me, I like EVERYTHING ELSE.

There's a combination for ya...

--gh

2 comments:

m said...

So have you warmed up to WhineRawk (The Cure, The Smiths, etc..)?

-m

BlackLineFish said...

Whinin'Rock is okay, I must admit that Billy Corgan can get on my nerves, I consider his signing to be whiny. As for the Cure and Smithereens, I developed an appreciation for that style of music around 1994 -- oddly enough at the same time as Parliament and other funk music...
--gh