Sunday, February 19, 2006

New Project

I have a new project... a single ended class A tube amplifier.



I have started amassing what I need to start my first home-made electronics device since junior high. I have turned to the The AX84 Project for the design and parts list. It is described as an open project - but it sure looks like everyone turns to one guy eventually.

This is not a kit affair, though. They do not sell parts and believe it or not - there are no instructions! We're not talking Heath Kit here, so I hope I am up to it. Then again, if it was Heath Kit, I would feel a little cheesy. That's probably not fair to all those champs out there that cut their teeth on building radios and signal generators from Heath Kit. But for me, having a company in between made it seem like you weren't really building on your own.

I never had a tube amplifier for my guitar. I am starting with this project, a "smaller" sized 5 watt amp. I am pretty sure that it will be plenty loud for home use!

So, if you don't know a little about tube amps, single-ended means that the signal runs through each component in the amp. (A push-pull amp splits the signal and handles each half separately.) Class A amps do this by running the tube wide open (figurately speaking, of course) which makes them inefficient and explains why hi-fidelity abandoned this technology over 50 years ago.

So, my hands are covered in dried glue. Why? Because I am trying to make a box-joint jig for my table saw. Why? Because I want to make my own box to hold the amplifier in. Also, I will make a speaker cabinet. I don't want to cover it with carpet or tolex, so I will just finish them like furniture.

Okay, I'll keep you posted.

--gh

1 comment:

m said...

Sweet. Will this be a money-saving project, or one of those "might cost a little more but will be alot better than a storeboughten one" type of project?