Sunday, July 03, 2005

Good Freeware

Okay, I talked about GNU in a previous post. It got me thinking about the shareware that I use. I usually don't provide a real service on this blog, so I thought I would make up for that and go through the top ten freeware programs that I use.

I don't mind paying for my software. I purchase antivirus software, as well as the Office 2003 suite from Microsoft. I have purchased shareware as well (such as the Supermemo learning software for my Palm V and for Win...)

But, I am talking about real freeware (and not that nagware that pretends to be free, or adware, which is just annoying). I will try to provide the links as well.

So, here is a featured list of freeware that I use:
  1. HandySnap: Everyone needs a decent screen capture utility. This is the one I use. I want to be able to capture full screen, just a window, or anywhere that I select. Then I want to save it to the clipboard, or to a JPG. HandySnap does this gracefully, and even adds the ability to add text and simple sprite graphics. (This is great for adding the URL to a photo that you just stole, so you are not a complete bum in your presentations, etc.) It is always running in my taskbar.
  2. The GIMP: What better's better than a powerful image editing software? Well, a free one! I tried Pixia, and some others, before settling on this open source GNU-ish software. I may go Photoshop within the year (sell out!), but until then GIMP will get me through.
  3. Audacity: Do you occaisionally need to edit MP3 files? If it is only occaisional, don't waste your money and just used Audacity. Some nice effects as well.
  4. Spybot Search and Destroy: Okay, if you are not using spyware destroying software, then you should. This is the one I use, and it seems to find a lot of junk each week. I use the embedded Spyware Blaster as well, but will not list it as another number here.
  5. Finale Notepad: Okay, not sure if you ever need to edit music directly? Fine. But if you do, use a great free version of one of the industry standards from Finale Music. Sure, you can't create 32-voice orchestra compositions (but it can edit them, weird!). However for just piano, or a few instruments like guitar (it does TAB!), this is great. Nothing teaches music theory like music editing software. (Well, nothing except school and stuff...)
  6. MediaMonkey: I needed to convert 9,000 mp3 files to a smaller size, and change to WMA. (Yes, these are all LEGAL MP3s from my CD collection.) This is not something that you do often, but I was almost willing to pay for this (couldn't fit everything on my laptop's hard drive.) MediaMonkey solved my problem. I hardly use it, but who cares, it was there when I needed it.
  7. CCleaner: This actually stands for 'Crap Cleaner,' I think. A good, all-purpose software to clean temporary cache's created by Mozilla, Netscape, IE, and of course WinXP...
  8. SpamBayes: If you have SPAM trouble, this could be your answer. Before my university started filtering, I was dealing with 300 SPAM messages a day. SpamBayes really saved me. Now it finds about 2-3 a day, but I still run it.
  9. AutoIt: This is a powerful Windows-based scripting tool, but I use it to automate web interfaces. I have to log in to check on my online classes, web-based email (from home), and to check my course listings for the department (I never talk about being chair here, do I?). There is nothing more annoying than five screens and passwords to get to what I need. Now, I have the scripts compiled as executable files (encrypted, for the passwords) and short-cuts to simple key strokes.
  10. Picasa: How can I not mention a fine piece of Google software like Picasa? I use their blogging interface, their Toolbar, their Desktop Search, and even Hello for uploading images to the blog. (Yes, I know there is a new tool for that.) In case you don't know what Picasa is, it is a image media cataloging software for your computer. To prove they weren't evil, Google purchased this technology, and then made it free! (Note that I do not use the Google Web Accelerator, or any web accelorator for that matter.)


So, there's my list. Sorry about not ordering it. It's just as well since HTML does not reverse order numbered lists. Either you are interested in what I use, or you aren't. For a good source of freeware, check out No Nags. I like it.

--gh

No comments: