Monday, July 11, 2005

Cute things

Before I shared some of the freeware that I use. I forgot to mention a freeware product that I use nearly every day.

I have need to create documents as a PDF file, but I have not secured the pedigree software. For many years we had the access to free PDF writing software, but this usually involved the creation of a watermark or other indicator on the finished product. Nothing like sending someone a resume or grant application with a watermark that says "Hi, I'm a cheapskate!"

Thanks to CutePDF, you can write your PDF without anyone knowing you used freeware. CutePDF is not related to the CuteFTP program. (I don't need an FTP client, I use the command line software in DOS. Ahhh, DOS.)

...

I struggled with the sentence above, where the two words PDF and file were used together. My first draft (yeah, I edit and polish the writing in my blog) had the words "PDF format." I had to look up the abbreviation for PDF to make sure I wasn't being reduntant. My suspicions were correct, the "f" in PDF stands for "format."

So, saying Portable Document Format format would make me sound like a gumbert.

Yes, this happens to be a pet peeve of mine. Other abuses of this that aggravate me are:
  • ATM machine
  • PIN number
  • VIN number
  • 8:00 AM in the morning
  • ACT test


With all these hangups, I can be hard to get along with.

Another issue that I have is the proper usage of computer abbreviations. In particular, I am concerned with the capitalization of abbreviations like PDF and GIF. These are written in uppercase, are they not? Maybe I just have high expectations for written English in blogs, email, and instant messages...

On the other hand, I feel that the file extensions should not be capitalized, even if they happen to be abbreviations. The convention that I adopted is to refer to executable files as *.exe, or images as *.jpg and *.gif files. However, if I refer to the format of the latter two, I will write them as JPG and GIF (since JPG and GIF actually stand for something). I surround myself with rules thus.

--gh

1 comment:

DrSchnell said...

Don't forget "Rio Grande River" and "Sierra Nevada Mountains."