Saturday, February 19, 2005

'G' is for garbage

As promised, here is the second work in my "Blue Collar Muppets" series. Due largely to the bricks, this took over 40 hours in the last month or so to complete.


I am not sure how many will be in this series. In order to call it a "series," though, it must have at least two or three more. But I have more ideas than that. Right now, this is what I have in mind: ***updated***
  • Kermit as a barber
  • Grover as auto mechanic
  • Oscar as highway worker, or bulldozer operator (with Slimey the Worm)
  • Telly as farmer
  • The Two-Headed Monster as factory line worker
  • Bert and Ernie in food services
    I did not go for the obvious with The Count as hairdresser (because he is the gayest muppet). I don't like that particular stereotype, mostly because I have the best barber in the world. Kermit will be my homage to him.

    I think I will stay with the Sesame Street muppets, rather than the late-seventies show muppets, like Gonzo or Animal. (They are still called muppets even when it is Sesame Street, right?)

    I am still soliciting ideas for small details, or anything major that I have left out. Is Big Bird a muppet? I am guessing not.

    --gh
  • 2 comments:

    m said...

    Beautiful..

    I think either the two-headed monster (http://www.sesame-encyclopedia.com/Alphabet/SesameT/TheTwoHeadedMonster.html) or the Yip-Yip Martians (http://www.sesame-encyclopedia.com/Alphabet/SesameY/YipYipMartians.html would be good bachelor midwestern farmers. But, you have to work in, somewhere in the series, Don Music (http://www.sesame-encyclopedia.com/Alphabet/SesameD/DonMusic.html). I think Don Music would make a great produce man.

    I guess trades (auto mechanic & barber) belong as blue collar jobs. They seem different than fast food/factory work, though.

    -m

    BlackLineFish said...

    Whoa, the Sesame Encyclopedia! Thanks for that. I couldn't find the foley artist, I have no idea what his name was, but he sure was good at making train noises, or rainforest noises, just by opening his mouth.

    Telly may end up as the farmer. I always thought of him as one of the obnoxious *new* muppets - then I noticed he came on in 1979. I am just showing my age.

    I also realized that when I draw Oscar, I will have to incorporate Slimey the worm.

    I haven't decided what to work on next. I did print out Rumayluh Elmo at poster size. I think Elmo was nearly life-size!

    --gh