Saturday, September 04, 2004

Enjoyment and peace

Right now, I am sitting in an easy chair, laptop on my lap, and just realized that I watched the entire Teletubbies show. I worked most of the day with drywall and joint compound, so I guess I am worn out. The announcer just announced the inevitable exit of the tubbies. I have always enjoyed this program. I find the repetition comforting, like a well-worn quilt. I do find it curious why this particular channel puts Teletubbies on at 9pm. I don't want to hang out with any toddlers after 7pm, definitely. The programming switched to a bizarre animation show called "Jakers! The Adventures of Piggley Winks." It is almost as weird as Wil Cwac Cwac. (WCC is a mid-eighties animation with a duck named Wil and a Turkey named Ifan. Ifan says "gobble gobble" after everything, which is annoying. Wil is always whining. The spellings are odd because it is Welsh...)

Back to my fascination with Teletubbies... If I must declare a favorite, it would definitely be Tinky Winky. He has the best voice, and is the largest tubbie. If I was in trouble, he would definitely come in handy. I could imagine opening a big can of whoop-hiney on some bad dudes with Tinky Winky on my side. It would be like the Magnificent Seven, with Tinky as Yul Brynner's character (Chris?) and me in Steve McQueen's role (Vin?). Don't get me wrong, I like Po, La La, and Dipsy -- but Tinky Winky is the bomb.

Speaking of the bomb, I dug out one of my Parliament CDs a few days back. I don't think I have listened to that in 6 months! My favorite personality of Funkentelechy is definitely Sir Nose D'Voidoffunk. If you put me in a room with George Clinton, Bernie Worrell, Catfish and Bootsy Collins et al., I would definitely stand out like Sir Nose. I would like to think that I am down with The One, but I am probably too afraid to get wet. (I even have a D'Voidoffunk poster in my office, uh, behind my door of course.)

It has just occured to me that this is probably one of only 3,000 blogs dedicated to musing about Teletubbies and Dr. Funkenstein...

--gh

No comments: