Saturday, August 21, 2004

Smells like a lamp to me

I have noticed an increase of about 30 page hits a week thanks to Blogger's "NEXT BLOG" button at the top. Took me a while to figure out where the random lurkers were coming from. Welcome.

But, I still keep track of other ways that people make it to my page, and found a yahoo search for the phrase: "Smells of the lamp." I thought I remembered that I had used this phrase and found it on my second blog entry, that's right, #2. If you want to increase your web presence, quote an ancient Athenian and wait 34 weeks!

If this is a new expression to you, and you have found this page because you are trying to figure it out, let me help you. Basically, it was an insult from Pythias to Demosthenes. You remember Demosthenes, don't you? He was an orator who came by his skills very un-naturally. (He put pebbles in his mouth and "shouted against the waves" so that he could overcome some speech impediment.) To make a long story short, Pythias calls Demosthenes pedantic because he only is clever when he can work the night before into the long hours for his speeches. In other words, Demosthenes was not fast on his feet, er... tongue. This is a complimentary affliction to esprit d'escalier, which means that you could have thought of a better response if you had more time. But of course, I am being donnish with all of these inkhorn terms.

This lesson is almost over, but there actually is a funny punchline to this 2,500-year-old confrontation. I am too lazy to look up the exact quote, but Demosthene's lame-hiney retort was something like: "Oh, yeah? Well I bet there is a difference between my work by lamplight and yours." Of course, no one remembers this horrid come-back. But Pythias' comment lives on.

I can sympathize with Demosthenes' predicament. I am of extremely average intelligence and have never been able to make a quick rebuttal. I am in awe of stand-up comedians and talk-show hosts who are quite capable of demonstrating this ability. Indeed, as I write this I am impressed with the fact that I am working by lamplight.

Okay, so I helped out those of you looking for this interesting historical/literary facet. For those of you still looking for the lyrics for "Sa, Sa, Sa: La Mesa Que Mas Aplauda," dude, I can't help you. The song is about Mexican table dancers, so you should probably keep your mind out of the gutter anyhow. I find it interesting that I keep commenting on this song title bringing the occasional visitor, which obviously increases this blog's ranking in the search for said lyrics. Is that ironic? ...or just self-fulfilling. I do not claim expertise of the issue of irony. Maybe someone can comment with their favorite definition.

--gh

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*blinks* ><((((º> i just now realized that was a fish.
So many huge words in this entry, no comprehendo..or however you say that in Spanish.
I have a new look to my BloopDiary, it's a "Kermit Klein" layout.. *laugh* it's very interesting..
-RAB