Thursday, September 30, 2004

The debates

So the debates were on this evening. I watched the first two minutes and realized that watching people hawking gems on QVC would be more interesting. And of course I had to catch some Comedy Central (Reno 911). I never felt like it was my duty to watch these debates, anyhow. I caught the last 2 minutes as well, so basically what I saw was John Kerry thanking Jim Lehrer and Florida for hosting the debates in the beginning, and then John Kerry thanking Jim Lehrer and Florida at the end. So, based on my information and exposure, Kerry clearly won.

Of course, you cannot "win" a debate like this, but a "winner" can be declared by who had the most poise, didn't stumble, and didn't confuse the names of Ossama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein. (Okay, while watching American Chopper, I did scroll back to the debates to catch BOTH candidates confuse these names.) What's the difference between a chimp and a mule? Apparently nothing. But with less than 6 and 1/2 minutes of debate viewing, I really cannot comment further.

So, I might as well discuss how things have been going lately. Basically, everything is awesome. My weekly and daily pace are nothing compared to last year. I actually have time to enjoy coffee in the morning, drive the kids to the middle school, let the dog run in the countryside, and then shower for work. I have been home before 6pm every day, sometimes much earlier. Last year I was honestly working over 80 hours every week. For ten months, I spent much of my Saturdays and Sundays at work. (Maybe it wasn't smart starting an online graduate program without a computer or net connection at home.)

Yesterday was a fun day because I had completed everything by noon that was urgent, which left me the rest of the day to work on what was important. (I learned today that leadership is discerning the difference between what is urgent and what is important.) I was writing memos and letters, and even had one notorized, so I really felt like a big shot.

Speaking of big shot, I went to a meeting today that was created for leadership development. I was sure that all of the department chairs would be there, as well as 7-8 other faculty. I had very low expectations of this event. However, I was surprised that I was one of only three faculty members, and there was about a dozen people, 1/2 of which are cabinet members (and technically not being "developed"). So, basically, I was culled from the crowd into a group of 5-6 folkses. Okay, they have my attention. I am a developable leader...

I have always enjoyed my job, but this year things have been exceptional. The good news is that I have been feeling more creative lately. I actually starting composing a fl/gu duet. It's lame and all, but it sure is fun.

As I write, I am watching COPS. I could comment on what I am seeing, but I bet you can just imagine it.

--gh

No comments: