Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Fiction, again!

Three of my readers (half my audience!) might be aware of my fiction issues. I like fiction a lot, but feel guilty reading it. (I should be reading about the current trouble in Sudan and plotting my plans to fix the situation, etc.)

I just started the re-read of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Actually, it is a family-reading-aloud event, so I get to share a book that I enjoyed so much my freshman year in high school. Don't know if the kids are into it. (My opinion is that the ironic-plot in the first three chapters is so drawn out that it is pedantic. I think I remembered feeling that way in 1983 as well.) Anyway, I know it gets a LOT better. We have a car-ride coming up this weekend, maybe we can read it on this trip as well.

Terra doesn't know it yet, but she has a family visit coming up. If I quietly whisper her brother's name, she will recognize it and start looking around. I can tell that we do not have an overtly cruel family, because the kids don't think it is funny to trick her this way. I say his name when he is coming THAT day, and she still spends a good bit of time looking out the window for him. She's looking at me now, oblivious to her upcoming family reunion (brother, sister, mother).

--gh

3 comments:

m said...

If you get tired of reading Hitchhiker's aloud, you could always get the BBC radio series on tape. Most public libraries have it, it seems. Heck, the Northwest library might have it, since it's not a book. The only bad thing is all the cheesy sound effects.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance...now that is pedantic. This is the slowest I've read a book in a long time.

-m

Anonymous said...

So many big words.. :)
Why read about what's going in the world? It just keeps getting even more depressing ^_^
I tried playing My Immortal today, can't get even remotely close to the actual chords..F# and C#m are really getting on my nerves..they're probably the hardest ones in that song. Practice makes perfect I guess.. :)
~RAB

Anonymous said...

I found that "what band should you be in" thing at the bottom of the page..I thought I'd share my results:
Band Name: Kittie
Role: Vocalist
Trademark: Hating P2P File Sharing
Love Interest: The Guitarist