Friday, December 17, 2004

Overheard conversations

I overheard a conversation this week, it was incredible. I took notes (really! they're in my lap) so I can try to reconstruct it for you. The scene is older people at church. Woman is early sixties, Man is not yet fifty:

WOMAN: I was at another church last weekend 

in Kansas City and the children did
not sing as well as these children do.


MAN: Do you think our children practice more?

WOMAN: No, I think it was because they seemed
to be shouting. Not singing, just shouting.

MAN: Oh, I see. ...was it that type of
contemporary music? You know, what's
that called again?

WOMAN: You mean rap?

MAN: Yeah, rap. Was it rap?

WOMAN: No, it was just shouting.


Then it got better. Old Man (mid-seventies) starts complaining about the Beatles invasion FORTY YEARS AGO! He said "If I had thought of that yeah, yeah, yeah music I'd be the millionaire now."

Of course, none of their statements really made sense. Rap really is not that hard to describe, and it has nothing to do with "She Loves You." Seven-year-olds are more culturally advanced about modern music than these folks.

So, whenever I hear some rap, I will call it "that contemporary music, what is it again?" Time to play some late nineties MC Ren...

--gh

No comments: