Sunday, October 08, 2006

Stuff that we learn

Okay, I have experienced theThe Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon personally, and am waiting to have it occur regarding my knowledge of that occurrence. (I guess Baader-Meinhof is usually recursive in nature.) Basically, when you learn a word, phrase, or piece of knowledge for the first time - you are destined to have it come up again within a day or so. That is the essence of Baader-Meinhof.

So, you will probably experience the word "Baader-Meinhoff" in the next week. If this is happening more often - perhaps the Internet is really to blame. I mean, I read about this from a link from Digg. Within a day or so, it will be copy-catted on Fark. Eventually, SomethingCool (does that even exist?) will link it - and eventually someone else will bring it up.

Not that it is bad - I think it is an interesting phenomenon - and will try to remember it. File that next to Godwin's Law...

--gh

N.B. I found out how hard it was to type an apostrophe in HTML. Basically, you have to type "'" to get it to look right. Of course, can you imagine what I had to type to make the code in the last sentence work? This N.B. is to state that apostrophes should be avoided in web addresses...

No comments: