Saturday, October 28, 2006

HNB 10.0 The final product

on da stoolFinally, I am about 99% done with this build. I still need to protect the corners will metal covers. They will be black. This was a lot of fun to put together because I sourced none of the work out. In contrast, on my first amp the chassis was punched and drilled and the turret board was drilled and loaded with eyelets. Bought as a "kit" meant that all of the components were purchased together. Here, I had to use 3 different online sources.

from da backThis works well as an open back cabinet. The speaker is an Eminence Copperhead which has a very clear sound and is very efficient (99db sensitivity, I think). For one speaker, this little 10" really cranks. Considering the amp is only 5 watts, it amazes me how loud this thing gets. It is too loud for home use if you crank it up all the way. If I lived in an apartment, the neighbors would be complaining.

el lightoThe light on my first amp is a bluish purple. I got to choose this one, so I came up with a goldish yellowy brown color. The first time that little lamp glows is a major victory. It glows when you turn on the power switch. The next switch is standby, which heats the tubes but gives no power (B+) to the rest of the circuit. The last switch is called "MUTE" but it really just makes the high gain setting work at lower volumes. Maybe I should have labeled that something different. At least it wasn't a mispelling!

HNBThe heavy inked area for the name of this amp looks cracked from a certain angle. Straight on it seems fine, though. There are minor imperfections all over this build - in the wood work, the lettering, and of course the finish (I am heavy handed at spray paint and lacquer). However, it is 100% my own work, and sounds absolutely amazing. Family members have sent checks to offset my costs, do this will be a family gift to my father-in-law.

tone controlsThe tone controls are actually very responsive. The thing really sings if you leave them full on, but turning down the treble, mids, and bass help balance the sound for the different guitar setup. My favorite clean sound is with the GAIN setting on 3, and the master VOLUME on 6-7. With my Les Paul, I can get some nice jazz like sounds. I would love to hear a real archtop through it, though. Because it is a low-power amp, you can get some great distortion at a sound pressure that doesn't split your ears. I don't think I ever need to go above 20-30 watts in this lifetime. (In case this stuff is new to you, a 50watt amp would be twice as loud as a 5watt amp.)

I may post one or more times about this build, maybe showing the corners and stuff. But for now, we can pretty much consider it done. Aww, look at it.

Awwwwwwwww.....

--gh

1 comment:

BlackLineFish said...

Next time you come over, demand to plug the Les Paul in and take it for a spin!

--gh