Thursday, September 13, 2007

The TNH Amp, 1.0

Our next project is building an amplifier and speaker cabinet. We chose the P1-Extreme plan from the amplifier building community AX84.com. We'll start on the cabinet first, because I like to make sure that the speakers and the amp chassis fit well. Also, I'm afraid if we build the amp first, we'd be playing it from a table into speakers mounted in a cardboard box or something. It is more satisfying to finish wiring things up and then to slide them into a cabinet like we ordered it custom made. The design will be similar to my first build. (Measure twice, cut once!) It is a lot of fun taking pictures when I'm not doing this alone. This does have the amusing effect of looking like he is totally solo in this build. Maybe he should get his own blog going and describe it from his perspective.

I think this is Tyler's first real experience with power tools. When I was his age, I had already taken shop in junior high, so it seems to be about right. We started with a battery-powered circular saw. It kind of wimped out on us, though, and we had to go to the SkilSaw. Tyler is using a square clamped to the board to guide the saw. Don't worry, his hand is not as close to that blade as the picture suggests. The lumber we are using is some decent looking poplar from the lumber yard. I still haven't done anything that involves joining - but I still see a joiner in my future. I think this poplar will be dyed fairly dark, so I hope it looks even.

If you into counting these pieces, you may notice four extra sides. I decided to use some speakers that I got last year but never used. I learned that they were meant to be in a closed cabinet only, and not open backed. So, I will build an sealed speaker cabinet to try out. I bought the wood almost a month before cutting it. Even though I think I stored it pretty well, it still cupped a little. That's okay, this will be fixed in the next stage.





--gh

No comments: