Thursday, April 27, 2006

Why I don't care for Andrea Bocelli

I try not to be too opinionated, but I can't sit still and take this anymore. I don't care for Andrea Bocelli. Who is Andrea Bocelli, you ask? Well you are obviously not a woman, and you aren't dating.

This is him:



From now on, I will try to recreate an image from the Internet, rather than outright stealing it. It also lets me take more freedom with how I see things. This, by the way, is how I see Mr. Bocelli:



Already someone is crying fowl, I am sure of it. "You can't say anything bad about Andrea Bocelli, he sings so beautifully and he is blind!" I have to admit that in that statement lies part of my problem. When I first started hearing about him a few years ago, I kept hearing the familiar tagline "and did you know that he's blind?" I don't understand why that matters anyway. It would be a real statement if it went something like this: "Andrea Bocelli paints such beautiful pictures, can you believe he is blind?" See? That would really *be* something.

But his visual skills have no bearing on my assessment of him. It's just something that bugs me about his followers. My problem with Bocelli is that he really is not that outstanding of a vocalist. I could walk over to the fine arts building on campus, swing a dead cat, and hit a few vocal music majors that could match (and exceed) his capability.

What's worse is that he seems to get the same popular respect that Plácido Domingo or José Carreras gets. He is no where near these guys. Want to know how to figure this out? One word: microphone. A true vocalist doesn't need one of these in every venue. I know that microphones are a staple of recording, and are nearly ubiquitous in performance entertainment. However, I have never seen this guy singing without a microphone two inches from his face.

Simply put, he does not have a big enough voice. Axl Rose can outsing this guy (or at least he could between 1987 and 1992).

I cannot sing better, though - so I will hand him that. Next time I hear something about him, it better be "Andrea Bocelli is such a wonderful singer, he sings much better than Greg." Yeah, that sounds more appropriate.

--gh

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, found this post while following your Fisher gear post (i'm restoring a K-10 spacexpander). I'm from Italy and I know a sound engineer that worked with him a lot of times recording him in the studio. He told me that Bocelli is a fake!! When recording he has to fix all the mistakes in ProTools to make the takes decent. Without technology in studio or live, he would not be able to sing decently.

BlackLineFish said...

"He told me that Bocelli is a fake!"

Awesome, I am getting out to the world 2-3 readers at a time!

Good luck with that K-10, I am glad I am not the only one that thought they are cool enough to restore.

--gh