Thursday, April 28, 2005

Amish Bacon

Terra and I drove out to Wilcox and I finally looked into the Amish grocery store out there. Talk about weird. They had a whole section of used cereal. At least, it seemed used. Most of the boxes were bent, and taped up. Many had dates like "April 5, 2005." It was April 25.

Sure, I'm not so hung up on those dates that I think 20 days is going to harm anyone. But still, it's weird.

There was some Amish Jelly, I thought about buying some. The ingredients were pretty simple:
Ingredients:
grape juice, sugar, pectin.
May contain Kool-Aid.

Kool-Aid? I picked out some dog treats. Terra doesn't mind. Then I saw the bacon. Bacon doesn't have an expiration date, which is weird. I looked all over for it. It was a decent name brand, Hillshire-something-or-other. Sure, I'll buy some dollar-bacon from the Amish.

What was I thinking? I took it home (Terra was enjoying her cheese-beef dog treats) and opened it up. It was a little slimy, and smelled sweet. Kind of rancid-like.

I threw it in the yard and the neighbor cats pounced on it. It is a real sight to see a smug looking cat gnawing on some raw bacon. I hope they are okay. ...or not.

--gh

1 comment:

m said...

One time when I was in Tennessee, we stopped in this store that also seemed to be a used food store. There were all these busted open cans and boxes of food, with some bags of sugar and stuff that were only half there. It was in a po' neighborhood.

Jen says she can't access my blog, because it has the word 'pee-oh-are-en' in the meta-tags, and we are in a funny little non-profit place run by nazarenes or something in Dracula's birthplace in romania. weird.

-m