Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Rumaylah Elmo

This is my latest work, and is really the first of 2005. In terms of digital art, I now consider this my magnum opus...


It took about 50-60 hours to make, luckily the weather turned nasty and I was able to finish it before classes started again. Even the enlarged image is 1/4 the real size. (Email me if you want the 3000x2000 pixel version, it is almost 800kb.) I am thinking of printing this out on the large scale printer. That will be about $6! ($1 per sq. ft.)

I took the spelling of "Rumaylah" from National Geographic. I have a few working copies on my hard-drive that have titles like "Ramalah", "Ramayla", "Ramaylah" etc. If you try to search on the web, you will get twice that number of variations.

Amy inspired me to work on a related work, but I will have to put some thought into it. By the way, when I say related, I mean Sesame Street, or at least childhood icons, and not war... If it materializes, the series will be called "Blue Collar Muppets" or something. For the next work, I am thinking of Grover working as a shade-tree mechanic or something. It will take me a week or so to compose the piece in my mind, and then search for suitable inspiration images to work from.

--gh

1 comment:

m said...

Oh man...I like the picture...you should have had elmo blowing up a camel, so that he could be "smoking a camel" while he smoked a camel.

I LOVE the idea of a Blue Collar Muppets exhibition....I can't wait for Shadetree Grover...You could be as famous as the guy that did that acrylic-on-glass painting of a sock monkey.

-m