Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Meow Culpa Part Two (Mew)

Read below to see how I got here...

Okay, now I had a wet, near-dead, scrawny kitten and two children up and about. My son and I searched for the mother and potential litter, while my daughter rubbed the kitten dry and warmed it under a lamp.

We never found mother, but saw 5 other cats giving me the eye.

My daughter wanted to call in sick to stay home from school to take care of it. I promised that I would do my best, so after dropping both kids off at school I visited the Vet. She said that the chances are slim, but sold me powder milk and a bottle to feed it.

I was able to get about 10ml of milk into this kitten, and it made its first bowel movement. By 10 am it was strong enough to climb my shirt as I sat in the recliner. Also, I had it next to Terra and it tried to nurse off of her. She gave me this pitiful look as if to say "why do you do things like this to me?"

It has been about two hours, so now I should go home and check on it. Either it is dead, or it is even stronger.

Despite my daughter's protest, I will try to call it WeeNess. Since that is Haddock-slang for making water, it is kind of a cruel name. I am also tempted to name it Dusty, since that is the name I gave to several other kittens that I tried to take in and care for (but died in 20F nights). Maybe the name "Dusty" is a curse, so I will stick with Weeness as long as I can.

I wonder if Weeness is hungry again.

I really do not want a cat.

--gh

No comments: