Sunday, September 21, 2008

The TNH Amp - 3.0 Final assembly

I never put up pictures of the completed build of Tyler's TNH guitar amp. I guess stuff got in the way. Here is a picture of the variable bias. The power tube (here an EL34) is in a configuration called "fixed bias" which means that you determine the proper balance and insert a resistor in that matches the value needed to bias the tube for proper operation. Except that the resistor in this situation is a high-wattage rheostat pot. (The other bias option, called cathode-bias, self-biases itself and is not variable.)

Next to the power and preamp tubes are some plastic goats that we screwed in through the chassis. Tyler said that this was very important. The goat theme has received praise as well. I guess it is the little things that matter. You can also see the massive power transformer in the background.

Since the amp has speaker jacks for the 4-8-16 ohm taps so we build the speaker cabinet to be just as versatile. The switch will select each speaker separately (8 ohms), or both speakers in parallel (4-ohms) or in series (16-ohms). Most of the time I like the sound of both speakers in series. But, to make things quieter, 1 speaker is good sometimes.

He really wanted Mystery Science Theater 3000 to be on this amp somewhere, and right here in the back corner seemed the right place. That took a lot of ink to fill that area in! I like this even more than the goats! It's a nice tag at the end of a great project.

This is the final product, speaker cabinet with the amp. The speaker cab is a 2x12 open back. The two 12" speakers are Eminence ToneSpotters (from their Redcoat, or British-sounding series). This thing, even at a modest 11-12 watts, can get very loud. This speaker cabinet is up in Tyler's room. The amp head can move between that speaker cab and a closed-back 2x10 that I built.

I'm going to be honest and say that I don't like the sound of this cabinet really. I am going to give it some time, maybe when the speakers break in a little I might like it more. It may be the speakers, or it may be the closed-back design. It is more focused (directional), and definitely not as loud as an open-back design. If I still don't like it after a few months I don't know if I should change the speakers or cut a big hole in the back to make it an open-cab.

Below is the final picture of this build, with Tyler enjoying the fruit of his labor over several months.
--gh


No comments: