Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Haddo-caster 6.0 final wiring

I would say that I am about 90% done. These pictures won't show it, but a critcal piece is not on this guitar. When I was ordering parts, everyone was out of the Electrosocket output jack holder. This is an improvement over the old cup-style jack piece, which used friction and the internal output jack plate in the side hole. The Electrosocket screws in, and the Switchcraft jack screws into that socket. Right now, the output jack is a little precarious, mounted to the little plate about an inch inside the output jack's hole. When I get an electrosocket, I will be all ready to tear that hunk of metal out, screw in the Electrosocket, drill two holes, and screw it in.



At "design stage," this is pretty much the exact guitar I pictured. I do not see myself ever owning a Strat. I like them, but I don't want to be surrounded by too many guitars. Also, I don't use a trembar, and why own a Strat with a hardtail, or a trem that I never use? So, borrowing the middle pickup design of a Stratocaster (with a real Strat middle pickup), and a five-way switch, I have the best of both worlds. I bought a vintage looking strap, and one of those older looking tweed cases. I love that look. The strap is fine because these guitars are so light. I haven't weighed it yet, but it is several pounds lighter than my Les Paul.


This is a look that I really like. It might not be a big deal to you, but I really wanted the pickups mounted to the body, and not the pickguard. The pickguard lifts right out and slides out from under the strings, because it has no pickups on it. It also is not pinched down by those new 22-fret necks that Fender makes. The 21-fret design in 1952 was right the first time. Maybe because Gibson has 22 frets, they thought they couldn't compete. Anyhow, if I had an American Deluxe neck, I would have to remove it just to take off the pickguard! I think that is silly. Note that I went with the 3-barrel saddle design, just like the 1950s.

This is the guitar that I wanted, and it has the features I desire (except the output jack). I haven't listened to it for real yet (through a tube amp), but all of the selections work (5-way switch and toggle). I only got two wires wrong, and it took about 2 minutes to correct. Not bad, since I don't remember wiring an electric guitar before. I really like the yellowy look of the neck, and not the pale color of the American Deluxe. (Those AmDlx necks are sure fine to play, though!) I took a gamble and went with a 1952 reissue neck. It has the sharp radius fretboard (7.25" v. 9.5" of more modern designs, and the 12" radius of my Gibson). Even though it is no where near set up yet, I can tell that it will play just fine.

Setup will involve adjusting the neck angle (microtilt!), the truss rod (neck relief), the saddle height, saddle intonation, and last, pickup height. Oddly enough, this is something that I am apprehensive of.

--gh

No comments: