Thursday, September 22, 2005

Hot Chicago

Today I ate a stromboli in the Old Chicago restaurant in Columbia, MO. I can't believe they did not offer pepperoni strombolis, or spinach, which are my favorites. I had italian sausage instead. It was cooked very hot, and was spicier than I thought for a chain restaurant.

About half-way through the meal the waitress came out and asked if it was okay. She stammered, and then offered that the cook had asked about it, but offered no details. I told her that it seemed fine. It then occurred to me that I was eating a sandwich that was probably three times spicier as I should expect from a place like that. I bet the cook was adding a some hot flakes or something to it and the lid came off. Rather than start all over, he attempted to scrape it off, but later realized he probably didn't get it all.

I thought about telling her that I figured out what the cook was worried about. I even thought about playing with them and saying that maybe it was a bit salty or something. However, I didn't feel like talking and lying.

--gh

No comments: