Wednesday, December 03, 2003

Email Listservs

I only belong to two email lists. One is for department chairs in my discipline, which has only 5 messages per week. Another is list for university professors in my state. Everytime the sysop sends a message, people reply with questions to him, and it gets sent to the whole list. This guy is an idiot because he does not know how to set up the "reply-to" field for his messages. But the people reading and responding are even worse.

I got this today, meant to just one guy, but sent to thousands:

David, 

Do you know of any academics who are Republicans, or Conservative?
--[name withheld because I feel sorry for this fool], Rockhurst.

It amazes me that everyone, including most academics themselves, think that you have to be liberal or a Democrat to be in academia. It always strikes me as close-minded.

Hey, this is funny. I was appointed by the Governor's office to a state commission, and I had to "disclose" my party affiliation. It said choose "Democrat" or "Republican" and that "Independent" was not acceptable. Not acceptable?

I chose "R" because I participated in the 2000 Republican primary. I wonder what they would do if I participate in the Democratic primary on SUPERTUESDAY. At least that will be after my state senate "confirmation" hearings. I am thinking of joining the Log House Republicans!

Two of my students think it is humorous that I had to fill out a disclosure statement and they are convinced that I will perjure myself before the state senate.

--gh
(getting all political again)

No comments: